Thursday, October 9, 2008

Spotlight on ... Finland!

~Waving~ to my friends in Helsinki and Vantaa :)

My first introduction to a Finlander was an acquaintance with a lovely lady named Tynna Tammanen who was a World War II war bride. Classy -- intelligent -- beautiful -- quirky -- a wonderful friend.

Life in America being what it is, Finland didn't enter into my consciousness again until the 1984 Winter Olympics, when Matti Nykanen burst on the ski-jumping scene.

Just ... wow. For the first time ever, man flies.



Matti was, and remains, totally cool. People have always said man can't fly by himself. But Matti did. (That's him, on the left, below.)



To me, Finlanders have cracked the code of how to take a consistently bleak weatherscape -- a metaphor for pretty much life -- and just, basically, do stuff. You know the Nike slogan? Just do it? Finlanders JUST DO IT.

They're not into being "players" on the "world stage." They're quiet. They're cool.

They're smart. They're funny, if you take the time to listen. They know they can fly -- but they're not going to spout off about it the way we adolescent Americans might.

They just do it.

Finland is green and beautiful, and winter is no hardship. There are endless things to discover, just within its geography. Roads to go down, unique houses to appreciate ... ugh. I wish I could spend a year simply roaming around.

But as I can't, I can only ~wave~ to my Finland visitors, and give you this advice:

Put your thumb to your nose, and tell the world to go to hell -- because YOU will always manage :)

UPDATE: Many congratulations to Martii Ahtisaari, for winning the Nobel Peace Prize. If ever anyone deserved it, it's this fine gentleman.

As opposed to THIS boob.

No comments: