Monday, July 7, 2008

Mongol herdsmen in the news

GayandRight posted this item, which is timely, considering my oldest daughter is, as I type this, photographing said herdsmen.

I had no idea their culture was under such threat:

"The blockbuster movie, Mongol, depicts the skilled horsemen who helped their leader, Genghis Khan, build one of the greatest empires the world has seen.

"But the lifestyle of today's Mongolian horseman - and other nomadic herdsmen - is under threat. A succession of climactic disasters in the last 10 years has forced 500,000 of them abandon a nomadic lifestyle that has remained almost unchanged for centuries and to look instead for a new life in the cities."

I feel very sad about this; but I'm grateful my daughter is able to document the remaining herdsmen first-hand.

No comments: