Sunday, July 13, 2008

Losing Tony Snow


(image credit: www.komonews.com)

I've held off on posting about journalist Tony Snow's passing, because I felt there simply weren't enough superlatives to describe him, and didn't quite know how to approach it. Along with Tim Russert, another bright light in journalism is extinguished.

Susan Estrich, a stellar journalist on the left and friend of Tony's, had this to say, better than I could:

"He was so earnest, so dear, he liked everyone and assumed the same about everyone else; he was honorable and honest, and assumed it about others. You are so naive, I used to say to him. He would shake his head.

"But he wasn't really naive. He just knew what mattered and what didn't, what was worth caring about and what wasn't."

Also, blogger Dodgeblogium:

"It's very sad to hear of the death of Tony Snow. He was a great man.

"It is much poignant for me as I just completed chemo for colon cancer (I was diagnosed at 39) and wait for my next colonscopy to get the all clear. Let's hope that his death will be viewed by many as a good reason to get themselves checked for colon/bowel cancer. 53 is too damn young to die in this day and age. Remember Tony and get yourself checked if you are over 30!"

Well said.

Prayers go out to Tony's family.

2 comments:

Charles Henry said...

It sure was sad to hear about Tony Snow.

Isn't it funny how sometimes you can feel you know a "celebrity" (I hate to besmirch Snow with that label, but I can't think of another one...) as if they were an actual acquaintance of ours..? That's how I feel about his death; it feels like he was a guy I would do business with, or that I had a social connection to.

His attitude to his condition was truly inspiring.. sigh.

Godspeed to his family; must be hard to lose a hero.

Eowyn said...

Yes, indeed.

And it's as Susan Estrich said -- he didn't "lose" the fight with cancer -- cancer just is. If anyone could have "won" the fight, he would, but it really isn't a respecter of character.

A brave, intelligent, caring man. I'll miss him, too.