Saturday, July 19, 2008

(S)corn on the niqab


(image credit: my.algeria.com)

In the wake of the story of a woman being denied citizenship in France because she wears a niqab, I had to ask myself why those things are so offensive.

Disclosure: I'm a feminist. A real one, not one of your man-bashers. In fact, I'm also a masculinist. No one should be discriminated against due to their gender. But enough with the guys-are-the-root-of-all-evil stuff.

Most Muslim women who wear those silly tents say they don't feel oppressed by men. In the case of the would-be française, she says she "doesn't like being looked at by men."

I submit that they get looked at MORE, and not for the right reasons.

What's wrong with getting looked at? As a woman, I enjoy being complimented by guys, if I happen to look nice some particular day; or, yes, looked at. Why not? I look at other people, and sometimes admire them. It's human nature.

Having said that, I support both France's stand on this issue AND the right for people to dress how they please. In order for both to be satisfied, this woman is going to have to go back to Morocco. If it were me, I'd take the veil off and be done with it.

I'm sorry, but that getup just makes women look like freaks.

1 comment:

steph said...

No offence...but I think u need to get the right education:)