Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Spotlight on ... Réunion!

(image credit: picasaweb.google.com)

Bonjour à mon ami dans St.-Denis, la Réunion!

I LOVE discoveries. When I saw I'd gotten a hit from someone in Réunion, I just had to investigate. And WHAT a find :)

This beautiful island is located near Mauritius. Wikipedia describes it thusly:

"Saint-Denis (or unofficially Saint-Denis de la Réunion for disambiguation) is the préfecture (administrative capital) of the French overseas région and overseas département of Réunion, in the Indian Ocean.

"Saint-Denis is the most populous commune in the French overseas departments. At the 1999 census, there were 158,139 inhabitants in the urban area of Saint-Denis, 131,557 of whom lived in the city (commune) of Saint-Denis proper and the remainder in the neighbouring commune of Sainte-Marie."

How cool is that -- it's a commune! (Okay, okay, but still ...)

(image credit: phonebookoftheworld.com)

And talk about colorful and interesting architecture -- check out City Hall:

(image credit: pbase.com)

And it's nice to know the people can be party animals, too :) --

(image credit: farm2.static.flickr.com)

Just, cool.

Finally: check out THIS photo gallery.

In my Spotlight series, I'm finding that I want to move right NOW, TODAY, to each place I look into. Can I split myself, Voldemort-wise, into enough pieces to enjoy them all? I'm looking into it.

La Réunion, un de ces jours je visiterai et je ne partirai jamais.

No comments: