Sunday, November 2, 2008

DAR ladies on Hogs? Vroom-vroom!

The Daughters of the American Revolution teaming up with Harley-Davidson bikers? Nope, not a sign of the End Of Times -- but an effort to help our troops, specifically the severely wounded ones, for the holidays. (via Instapundit)

I collected stuff from my old job at The News-Item in Shamokin, PA, to send to the troops, and what a satisfying "chore" it was. Here's me, a cynical and selfish journalist, trying to talk even more cynical and selfish fellow journalists into parting with their (meager) cash. But they did it, even though most of them were against the war. We took a picture of ourselves and sent it in the box, along with a personal letter. It made us all feel, if only for a short while, that, yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus.

We never got an acknowledgement, and that led to a bit of griping. But the way I see it, it's enough to know that our effort did, in fact, make life just a bit easier for the guys and gals doing such a monumental job.

So here I am at a new job, with potentially great resources at my command to do the same thing. The Boss is committed to giving our Iraq veterans who work here lots of recognition. The pockets are potentially a LOT deeper than at the poor little local newspaper.

So, I'm going to try it again. Wish me luck.

No comments: