Thursday, February 12, 2009

Don't know why



... the incomparable Lena Horne. This song was done superbly well by others, including the equally incomparable Ella Fitzgerald, but Lena's take will always be my favorite.

Anyway, not to digress too far off the original intended topic -- the weather.

Extremely high winds today in Pennsylvania, my state. High winds in France. A tornado in Hawaii. Terrible heat and, hence, terrible wildfires in Australia. Heavy snow in Britain.

Global warming? Uh ... no.

But what is it? The climate certainly is changing. It has a way of doing that, every so often, throughout history. Why, and what does it mean just now to us? Got a few theories, me. I'm doing research on them, and will post again on this topic soon.

3 comments:

Charles Henry said...

Sometimes, when I'm in the middle of an avalanche (if you'll pardon the expression) of bad news, I wonder if this is more the result of the changes in our ability to follow what's going on in our world, rather than something actually changing about our world.

If there's a bad storm in New Guinea, or Kamchatka, or Minnesota, we know about it, because we can get pictures and audio of it in all its fury, beamed directly to us through our modern media.

Even within the last century, that wasn't always the case. Take the world non-reaction to the 1908 Tunguska explosion, as an example; it took twenty years for even the Russians themselves to bestir themselves and investigate what happened. Today you'd probably have Geraldo Rivera reporting on the approaching meteor from a blimp intercepting its trajectory...

We have the ability to monitor the daily occurances upon our planet with greater scrutiny than ever before... maybe our change in perspective is influencing our perception of changing events.

Charles Henry said...

Oops, in my first sentence I meant to say, "when it feels like I'm in the middle of an avalanche..."

Eowyn said...

Ha ha! Good self-catch :)

Good point, about instant information. It probably DOES affect perception. And it probably leads to leaps to conclusions where they're not warranted.

(Conversely, instant information also allows us free-speech freaks to become more alert, sooner, to egregiosities on the part of the "HRCs." Which is a good thing.)

The climate IS changing, but not due to "carbon emissions." I'm in the process of examining a number of different threads, theory-wise, that all seem to lead to the same zero point; but I don't dare share until I've gotten it clear in my own mind. (As if it isn't occupied enough with other stuff, *grin!*)