Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hair we go again

In the spirit of understanding, I've made it a point to educate myself on anything Muslim, lately. Bill the Bard extolled us to "know thy enemy." I prefer that my enemy be my friend.

And so, I've trawled around. I happened on a very good Muslim site, that does NOT advocate "jihad against the infidel" and all that stuff, but which seriously debates conflicts between traditional Muslim beliefs and Western practice. Go there.

You know ... Muslims are not the "enemy." They're simply misguided, many (perhaps most) of them. We ARE undergoing a "clash of civilizations" -- but, after all, we're all humans, and must know one another.

What brings on this particular diatribe? A human rights case in the UK.

This case illustrates all that is wrong with attempts to bridge the gap between fundamentalism and democracy. Why? Because democracy will always trump fundamentalism.

A small-business owner wants to set her own standards for her business. A Muslim woman tries (and succeeds) to punish her for same.

That's how I see it, anyway.

No comments: