Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fashion swan-song

Blogger Diogenes Borealis notes a steep decline in women who wear pantyhose anymore, citing Michelle Obama as giving the celebrity death knell to the traditional legwear.

He asked his women friends to weigh in on whst they think about it. I posted that even as a kid, I hated wearing dresses, Scout-Finch-like, though I wasn't a tomboy. Even in my 20's (40's now), I hated them, but went along because they were the "professional" thing to wear.

Now in the new millennium, the trend is moving away from dresses, skirts and pantyhose -- and am I thrilled! As I said to DB, some of my men friends have lamented the decline in dress-wearing, and so, occasionally, I'll don one for their sakes. But it's excruciating torment.

I should examine just WHY this is so, but for the life of me, I can't. Describing pantyhose is easy enough -- they're just darn uncomfortable. As I told DB, it's like either wearing blood-pressure cuffs, if they're "support" hose, or meshy onion bags, if they're the regular kind.

But dresses? I dunno. I like the feeling of my legs protected, but not encased. Dresses and skirts are just too ... open.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the entry at your link and replied.

I laughed because I knew the answer already (I have two girls).

Your answer is right on the mark I think.

Good one!

Eowyn said...

Thanks, Jack :o)

May I say your site is awesome? Bookmarked, and will be read!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, Ma'am!

You're linked.

The entry was a refreshing change from what I normally deal with.