Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sorry for inaccuracies ...

... especially in my own family.

Turns out that my step-great-grandpa is NOT Robert Peary but Oliver Hazard PERRY. (You know: We have met the enemy, and they are ours.)

Ugh. Imagine going through life believing one family story, only to discover it was the wrong one. Well, okay. So it was wrong.

"Family," as such, isn't the same, anymore. We are disassociated from one another; links get severed.

I am embarrassed that I didn't know my own ancestry. But not so embarrassed to find that the one ancestor wasn't so much different from the discovered one.

Oliver H. Perry was credited (wrongly) with "damn the torpedoes" -- along with other quotes.

Well ...

****************************

I'm quite proud to claim ancestry EITHER from Peary, or from Perry (my true ancestor).

But, learning the truth about Peary vs. Perry, I must say this:

Perry was a Naval officer, thus confronted with life-affecting conflicts. (Versus Peary, who was a Naval officer, confronted with life-forwarding conflicts, quite worthwhile, it is true.) (LOL)

I like that I share descendancy with Oliver H. Perry, whether he "damned the torpedoes" or not.

Truth is, he stuck to his guns.

And that's good enough for me.

I am sorry I mistook my own family history. I think this is going to be par for the course for us all, until time ends (very soon). Still, I apologize.

No comments: